Monday, September 8, 2014

Early birds and worms and all that...

It’s 6am and I’ve been up for about an hour.  The sun is rising over the mango, banana and guava trees in the garden and it seems the birds couldn’t be happier about it as they flit around singing their heads off.  I can see already today is going to be a cloudy one.  The weather cools down quite a bit at night here!  It was really pleasant for sleeping, although I know we’re heading into the cooler season so I’m thinking I will probably need to invest in some more blankets for my bed.

All things considered I slept really well last night, curled up under my mosquito net.  Awoke at 5am to the call to prayer, which immediately took me straight back to my time in Indonesia, but considering I was in bed shortly after 9:30 I still felt rested and have been unable to get back to sleep.  I’m excited for my first day of work!  I’m planning to use the time before breakfast to continue reviewing material on my organization.  Also, someone has left a “Peace Corps Amharic Language Training Manual” in my room which I plan to take full advantage of.  At this point all I can say is thank you which is amasagobina…I think.


There is lots still to do to get settled in, but none of that seemed to matter much this morning as I took a steaming hot shower and reflected on how huge the small things can be in an unfamiliar place.  Despite the lost luggage, and minor inconveniences of not having a phone or internet set up yet, something about that shower made me feel incredibly grateful.  It’s a feeling I plan to try to carry with me throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment