Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Cock-a-doodle-doo...my face hurts

Woke up this morning with a burning face and sour taste in my mouth for the second time this week and I’ve finally figured out why.   Last night, the power went out (again) and stayed out all night.  I usually use my fan to keep the mosquitos off but without power it dies so I unfurl my mosquito net.  You’re supposed to carefully tuck it around under your mattress but at 1am when you’re sleepy and lazy, this is a lot of effort to expend, especially when your bed has a bedframe that makes it especially difficult to get the net in place.  As a compromise, I have been unfurling my net and just using it to cover my head, which means that my face is coming in contact with it a number of times throughout the night.  I think the net is treated with some sort of pesticide, which may be what’s causing me to wake up with a case of the face-burns.  This has happened once before this week under similar circumstances, I am only now connecting the dots.  I suppose rubbing one’s face in pesticide for 7 hours will do that?  Lesson learned.

It’s 6am, time to get up and get ready for the car that’s coming at quarter to 7 as the field site in Adet where I’ll be attending the Field staff meeting and touring the agricultural centre where we are running our teff research trials is about 2 hours away.  I hope the power is back by the time we return to town this afternoon.  It’s gone out before but never all night like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment