Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A unique cultural experience

Food poisoning!

Struck down, finally by what many call a rite of passage here in Ethiopia.  Ate some raw meat (on purpose, I know, I was looking for a unique cultural experience!) in Addis when I was there for an afternoon over the weekend and now things are looking pretty dire.  It struck yesterday morning in the car on my way out to the field for the day, and although I won't go into too much detail lets just say I had to deal with it in what I'd modestly describe as sub-optimal conditions.  Think overflowing pit latrine literally crawling with maggots.  I didn't even know maggots could live in pit latrines.

Anyway, it stuck around all day and if anything the situation has worsened.  I'm supposed to go back to my field site today to test out harvest tools for the upcoming harvest measurements.  The car is booked, and I have had my contact at the research centre bend over backwards to facilitate our doing this this week, despite the fact that he himself is going to be away in Addis.  I've also arranged for some of the managerial staff as well as some of my field staff team to be there.  I don't feel like I can back out.  so I am going to take a bunch of charcoal tablets, hit the road with a roll of TP and hope for the best.  This could be an interesting day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment